Every Independence Day, families and friends across the country will celebrate our nation’s independence –flaunting red, white, and blue on the Fourth of July! It was in 1776 – 235 years ago – that our forefathers signed the Declaration of Independence. Written by Thomas Jefferson, it is the day America declared itself independent of the British Empire.
So as parades go by and communities celebrate, Chipper’s Tips assure everyone will be in full cheer:
1. Stay Together! Large crowds often form on Fourth of July fireworks displays, parades, and other such outside events, so please stay close together to ensure everyone’s safety. Pick an easy and familiar spot to meet at in case someone gets lost. Chipper’s Tip: “You can play, but don’t stray!”
2. Be safe! Fireworks are dangerous when not handled properly, so keep children at a safe distance and under constant parental supervision.
3. Careful cooking! When barbecuing, prevent injuries or burns by making sure all children stay away from the cooking area and keep all fires under control with water nearby at campsites in case of an emergency. Don’t forget to leave no trace and clean up afterwards, making sure all flames are put out.
4. Think of your Pets! Pets often become frightened with loud noises such as those made by fireworks, so be prepared to either leave them at home, bring something to shelter them with, or bring something that might help comfort them in such a distressful time. Most importantly, prevent possible injuries by restraining them in some way and ensuring that they, too, keep their distance from all fireworks as well.
5. Sun Protection! Remember to reapply sunscreen every two hours or so to prevent any possible sun damage. Chipper’s Tip: “From your head to your toes, and don’t forget your nose!”
Have a Chipper 4th of July!