Chipper Snack Recipe: Heart Shaped Tortilla Chips
Valentine’s Day is coming up fast! Make a healthy and fun snack with your kids in the kitchen to celebrate. Whether you are making heart-shaped pancakes or chocolate-dipped strawberries, having your little ones help cook not only builds confidence and independence, it’s a great opportunity to practice simple measurement math skills and connect with your child on a deeper level.
Make some heart-shaped tortilla chips in honor of the day of love! When kids make their own tortilla chips, they get to pick the flavor and shape (and you can monitor the ingredients).
What you need:
• Tortillas (make your own with this easy, kid-friendly recipe!)
• Sea salt or table salt
• Olive oil or butter
• Heart shaped cookie cutter
• Pastry brush
• Cookie sheet
1. Blend oil or butter with the flavor of you choice! Cheese, lemon and herbs, or cinnamon sugar are all yummy ideas. Or keep them plain and eat with a tasty salsa or guacamole dip!
2. Brush whole tortillas (corn or flour) with olive oil or melted butter.
3. Cut with a knife or heart cookie cutter and place them on your cookie sheet.
4. Sprinkle on some salt to your taste.
5. Put in the oven at 350˚ F for about 15 minutes. Make sure to keep a close eye on them and pull them out every once in a while to flip the chips around. The rate they bake depends on the size of your hearts.
Once they’re baked, package in snack-size bags for a nutritious snack to share with your child’s class or to enjoy at home over the weekend. What other shapes and flavors will you try? Let Chipper know in the comments!
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
[…] 12. Make your own heart shaped tortilla chips! […]
Comments are closed.