“Bread and butter, devoid of charm in the drawing room, is ambrosia eaten under a tree.” ~Elizabeth von Arnim
Summer time is here! Enjoy the shinning sun by taking a outdoor picnic with the family. Picnics are a great way to connect with your dad on Father’s Day or just enjoy an ordinary Summer day with your little ones. Take a solo hike and find a knoll to spread your blanket. Relax with a book or just soak in the nature around you. It will do your mind, body and soul so much good!
Pack this big, wonderful sandwich into a basket and plan a surprise picnic for your loved ones!
1. Cut a large round loaf of French Brad (any shape will do) in half & scoop out bread to make a cavity in each side. Eat the extra bread or feed it to your back yard birds!
2. Rub inside of each half with curt garlic clove and sprinkle with a few drops of balsamic vinegar and a generous amount of olive oil. Salt and pepper each side.
3. Layer the following ingredients in the order given, more or less–feel free to add and subtract to your own tastes:
• Start and end with slices of ripe tomatoes
• Crumble on Montrachet cheese
• Sliced cucumber
• Roasted red peppers
• Grated carrots
• A spoonful of dressing (see recipe below)
• Sliced hard boiled eggs
• Grilled tuna or swordfish
• Sprinkle on mashed anchovy
• Sliced radishes
• Roasted green beans*
• Thin sliced red onion
• Leaves of fresh basil or rosemary
•Another spoonful of dressing
• Finish up with more tomato slices
• Wrap the sandwich tightly and put it on a plate with a heavy object on top for at least one hour, turning once. Enjoy!
• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1 tbsp. parsley, minced
• 2 anchovies, mashed
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
Whisk together vinegar, anchovies, and mustard; add garlic, parsley and rosemary; In a thin stream, whisk olive oil.
Preheat oven to 450˚. Wash and trim leaves then allow them to dry. Spread on baking sheet, drizzle lightly with olive oil and toss them to distribute oil. Grind over black pepper. Bake for 15-20 min. till soft and starting to brown. Turn occasionally then sprinkle with salt.