Plain and unadorned, watermelon is a reliable source of cool refreshment. At 92% water, it’s a wonderful snack for those hot summer days and a great source of vitamin C for your little ones. With it’s sweet and juicy taste, they’ll never guess that they are eating a healthy snack! Watermelon is always good but check out these ideas for creative ways to use this favorite summertime fruit!
1. Halloween in the Summer: Carve a Melon Manor!
Looking for a sweet real estate deal? Turn the rind of this favorite summertime fruit into a palatial home for toy figures or visiting fairies.
1. Start by slicing off one end of the melon and setting it aside. Cut the insides into pieces, remove them, then scoop out any remaining chunks with a long-handled spoon (save the insides to make a scrumptious salad seen below).
2. Carve windows and a door with a small knife, or if you really want to get fancy, break out your pumpkin-carving tools.
3. Use toothpicks as needed to join bits and pieces into shrubs and to secure the roof (made from the sliced-off end). To illuminate your stately mansion by night, place a battery-operated tea light inside or use an old fashion candle!
2. Forget Baking: Try these Cool Cookies!
All you need beside a watermelon is Vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt and Sprinkles (optional).
1. Slice melon into 1-inch-thick slabs, then use cookie cutters to make shapes.
2. Frost your treats with vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt (spoon the yogurt into a squeeze bottle to make decorating really fun and easy).
3. OPTIONAL: Top them with sprinkles and enjoy!
3. Use up chunks of Watermelon: Test out this Surprisingly Delicious Salad!
The sweet-and-salty flavor combo of watermelon and feta may sound a little strange, but trust Chipper: your kids will go bananas for it. You will need:
• 8 cups cubed watermelon
• 2 to 4 ounces cubed or crumbled feta
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper
• Fresh basil or mint
1. Mix the watermelon and feta.
2. Toss with a dressing made from the lime juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with slivered fresh basil or mint. Serves 8.
Like Chipper always says, “Healthy before sweet can’t be beat!” Enjoy your sweet AND healthy watermelon this Summer!